Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Bitter+Sweet

Sunday, December 13, 2009
= Bittersweet.

Friday was my last day of clinical.

The sweet comes from the fact that I have grown so much from that very first day. I started as a petrified first semester nursing student and I have grown quite substantially since then into a more confident, competent nursing student. I was able to care for my first, second, third, etc patient. I learned all about how the hospital system works: paperwork, assessments, and treatments. I experienced some challenging patients that I really know (hated to admit at the time) I grew from. There were days I’d get into my car after taking the shuttle back to our student parking and cry. Not because I was necessarily sad but because I was stressed, overwhelmed, and had a difficult day.

Those were the days in which, I feel, I grew the most. I am a different person than I was when I first entered 4.2 on the very first day of clinical.

I could have never grown as much as I did, as a student nurse, without the help of so many people.

That is where the bitter part comes in...

This ending of the semester came with many goodbyes.

The people I learned from on 4.2 were, truly, wonderful people. They were so willing to share their knowledge with me and helped to increase my confidence. I am going to miss them. They all took time out of their (VERY!) busy and hectic days to slow down and show me how things are done. I will be forever grateful to the RN’s, PCA’s and LPN’s for their help, support and knowledge. They helped me more than they probably even know.

My clinical instructor was another person who helped me immensely. “Mama A” as we affectionately referred to her as, was amazing. She is so full of wisdom and knowledge, especially when it comes to nursing. She knows how things really work in the field and she always shares that with us.  I am so grateful to her for all she taught me, and most importantly her honesty, during my first clinical semester

My clinical group was one fine group of ladies. Although I will be seeing them all next semester, we most likely won't be in the same clinical group. I can honestly say we all grew so much this semester. We all had the “deer in the headlights” look as we entered on the first day. Throughout the entire semester we leaned on each other and learned from each other. We all had different strengths and weaknesses and we all helped each other bridge the gaps. I am thankful for each and every one of them, whether it be for “lifting help” or the much needed boost of self confidence before I gave my first intramuscular injection.  They were there when I needed them most and I am so thankful I shared this first semester clinical journey with them.

I am both happy and sad to have completed my first semester of clinical experience. On the one hand  I am one step closer to graduating yet on the other hand I’m leaving behind 4.2 and all the wonderful staff there, Mama M, and my clinical group. I know next semester will present me with its own unique set of challenges but because of this learning experience and the relationships I have established during my first clinical semester I know that I will make and meet any challenge presented to me next semester and beyond.

0 comments to Bitter+Sweet: